Well, I've decided to make some electronic memories because for one, I don't have my scrapbooks here in Japan to actually write anything (and if I just wrote all this down in some random notebook, it would most certainly be gone in one of the many moves we make). For another thing, I only scrapbooked Sterling's life up to age 1 because it was SO much work and I always had to get everything exactly right in it...It kind of stressed me out. So now I have to think about scrapbooking for this next kid for the whole first year of his life and that will be enough to worry about!
So here goes some random thoughts about Sterling's funniness over the last couple of months...
"I'll Throw You Away"
My grandma Birt always used to tell the story of my cousin Miranda and I and our responses to her when she would say "I'm gonna throw you away" when we were being naughty. My typical response was to plead and beg with a repentant tone, "No grandma, please don't throw me away!" Miranda's response, on the other hand, was "No you won't!" My grandma always thought that these responses indicated the kind of personalities we had and the kind of women we would grow up to be-- and in some ways I think she was right on!
So sometimes when Sterling is being a little naughty or just a little ornery, Luke will say to him, "Sterling, I'm gonna throw you outside." He'll just look straight back at Luke and with this mischievous grin reply back, "No, I'm gonna throw YOU outside!" So grandma, what do you think Sterling's response to this statement indicates about his personality??!!
"It's Shiny Out!"
Luke always remembers to get Sterling his most favorite item in his wardrobe, his hat, when they are walking out the door. I, on the other hand, nearly always forget it. So every time we walk outside Sterling yells at me "FORGOT MY HAT! It's too shiny out!"
"Maybe it's Kyle..."
The other night Tony rang our doorbell and anytime anyone rings our doorbell Sterling gets SO excited that he about wets his pants. He was jumping up and down and dancing and screaming and Luke said "Who do you think it is?" Sterling responded, "I think it's Kyle!" I don't know why he thought maybe it was Kyle (considering the fact that Kyle lives in America and we live in Japan) but I thought it was really sweet that he was so excited that it might be his uncle.
"Gigi and Papa too?"
Sterling has been getting super excited about his grandpa Chase's visit to Japan next week. He can't wait for him to come play with him all week and sleep in his room with him (There are basically only three rooms in our house- Sterling's, ours and the kitchen, so Steve gets to sleep with Sterling:). So we were talking to him about the visit last week and he so sweetly started asking who else was coming- was Grandad coming? Gigi and Papa? Sometimes I love the fact that we get to live and work here and do the ministry that God has called us to, other times it makes me really sad that Sterling misses his family so much...But...it's all the life of a missionary right?!
"And you're a cowgirl."
Sterling has been really into identifying things lately- whose clothes are whose, which towel is his in the bathroom, etc. But one that he has consistently been working on is who's a boy and who's a girl. So he'll look at Luke and say "Daddy's a boy." Then he'll point to himself and say "Sterwing's a boy." And then he'll look at me and with a little bit of confusion say "Mommy, you a boy?" So of course I respond and say "No, mommy's a girl." So he just looks at me and says "You're a cowgirl!" It makes me laugh every time. I think he picked it up from a little cartoon called the Backyardigans where they dress up as cowgirls and cowboys.
Okay, I think that's all for now. I will try to keep video taping and remembering these things because I know he will love looking back on them one day...
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Sterling-isms
Posted by Kacie at 12:30 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
i LOVE this, kacie!!! sterling is getting SO big and he's SO sweet!! (is january really as far away as it is?!!!... i want to just squeeze that little guy!!!:) thanks for sharing these stories--they're SO sweet!!!!:)
I can totally picture these stories - so cute. I can't wait to witness them in person! I just got back from my friend Shari's wedding and it's almost 2 a.m. - My feet are killing me and I'm exhausted, but of course I'm checking the blog. :) Love you tons!
I love these sayings from Sterling! I am SO glad that you are sharing them with everyone! It totally brightened up my day! Love you all!
This is so cute! I love it when little kids say this kind of stuff! It cracks me up!
Hey Chases!! I just found your blog link on Brennan & Janna's blog, so I thought I'd see how your missionary work was going.
Isn't it just too much fun having a toddler/preschooler? Your little Sterling sounds like a gem. I love that he wears his hat everywhere - I have to FIGHT my boys to get them to wear hats. But my boys just love the Backyardigans. I'm glad you're a Cowgirl and not a horse, like John is (Brayden's always trying to feed him apples like in that episode).
Finally - I wanted to see if maybe you've ever thought about trying to get into digital scrapbooking? I started doing it while at CIY and LOOOVE it. It's a lot cheaper than paper scrapping because you can always reuse your supplies - and you could do it overseas without any trouble!
Anyway - I'll be keeping you guys in my prayers! Let us know if you're ever planning on being in the US during June and we could maybe use you as our camp missionaries.
Post a Comment