BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Great Grandpa Huiskamp

For those of you who didn't know my great grandpa Huiskamp you definitely missed out on meeting a great man. He was a gentleman, humble, and very generous with his time and resources. He was willing to help in whatever way he could without wanting the credit or recognition for his kindness. He cared for his family deeply. I still can picture him all bundled up with my great grandma watching my high school football games. It was an honor to be his great grandson. He passed away this past week. I just wanted to ask for your prayers for my family as they go through the grieving process. The visitation and funeral are Thursday night and Friday morning. Since we are living in Japan we will not be able to make it back to Keokuk to be with our family. Thanks for taking the time to read this and for your prayers. I only hope to follow my great grandfather, Carl Huiskamp, in the way that he lived: a life of generosity, humility, and enormous amounts of love and respect for others.

4 comments:

The Birt's said...

We are so sorry to hear about your Great Grandpa, but he left a wonderful legacy in you Luke, being the kind, gentle and giving person that you are. We love you all and give Sterling a great big kiss from us.

Unknown said...

Luke,
went to the visitation tonight. It was nice to see your family, wish it could have been under happier circumstances. Only saw Carl a couple of times but could easily tell he was a very caring and intelligent man. He was a great blessing, not only to his family but to all of Keokuk. I'm thankful that I was able to meet him and for knowing some of his family. I'm glad you two have this blog, I check it every month or so, your mom suggested I check it tonight. We miss you both a lot!
grace and peace, Ryan

Tammy said...

luke, kacie & sterling, just left keokuk a few hours ago... the visitation, funeral and fellowship were a great tribute to grandpa! and even though everyone was sad because he is gone, there was also a reassurance from his friends and pastor that he loved Jesus and tried hard to follow Him--he is with him now... it was good to be with the family and celebrate his wonderful life! it's neat to think we are part of his legacy--what a great man! thanks for writing such kind words and sharing your thoughts with everyone! we certainly missed you guys! hope to talk with you more about it... love you all SO much!....

Tammy said...

this is sara, by the way!!... (i'm at tammy's house--she's "nana")... :)