BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, April 11, 2008

Fluoride...

So here's my latest dilemna. The water here is not fluoridated like it is in the United States. All the adults here have horrible teeth and I think it is probably partly due to the fact that they don't have fluoride in their water or their toothpaste. I've tried to research this on the internet because I'm worried about Sterling. I know we will be fine, but he's definitely still in the age range where we need to be thinking about it. I found some research that said water fluoridation was one of the greatest medical feats of the 20th century (it literally said that, I'm not exagerrating), other things that said you shouldn't worry about babies/toddlers having fluoride in their water, toothpaste should be enough. Well, right now we're using non-fluoride toothpaste for Sterling because that is what they told me to do in the US! So I'm confused. If anyone knows anything about this, I would appreciate some reliable information. If you know a dentist, please ask for us! :) Also, if we are supposed to use fluouride tablets-- one of the administrators here suggested we do this for our kids-- we are going to need them sent to us. I don't know if they sell them here, and even if they did, I would have no idea where to find them or what they looked like or how to read the directions! Thanks in advance for all of your advice :)

12 comments:

Heather said...

Hello,

I am a friend of Katie Sutherland, and enjoy reading your blog often. I don't think you should worry about Sterling. I have 4 kids 7, 5, almost 2 and an infant. MY 7 year old just got her first floride treatment last year. The dentist that I go to said not to use floride toothpaste until they could spit it out and not swallow the toothpaste. My 5 year old just had a check up at the beginning of this month and they said we could wait on her floride treatment until next time...which is next year. So maybe this will give you some piece of mind. Hope it helps:)

Sara said...

yep, zion hasn't had a flouride treatment yet, either! i'll make sure tammy looks at this--she'll have something informative to tell you! she knows her stuff and will be glad to help you out! if you do need something--flouride tablets, etc.--let us know! we can send something! love you guys!!!

Lettie said...

hey kacie. joplin just got flouride in the water a couple of years ago. before we had it, our pediatrician had us use prescription flouride drops, then we switched to tablets when the kids were a little older. of course now that we have flouride in the water, we no longer use the supplements. i can ask jared's mom, too. love you.

Tammy said...

I HIGHLY recommend that you get him on a fluoride regime of some kind..it is very important for the health, strength, and defense of tooth decay for children under the age of 8 especially. If you have a pediatrician he can prescribe tablets or drops. (A dentist can RX as well)

Things he should not do...

1. drink soda/juices high in sugar, eat candy, eat sticky foods like fruit snacks...etc. until he is on a fluoride regime.

Things he should do..

1. Mom or Dad need to brush his teeth 2X every day. He can brush also, (because I know 3 yr olds like to learn to be independent.. but they are not going to be as thorough) Make it fun..be creative, reward him!

Tammy said...

I know that there is bottled water that has fluoride in it..It's usually in the baby food section at the store..don't know if that is available there or not, but you should check that out. Overall, he certainly should be getting fluoride...don't worry, its not too late! The worse that can happen is of course a cavity, or some discolored or mottled enamel on adult teeth..but nothing systemically harmful to him!

Tammy said...

Try and get him to a dentist for a check up (we highly recommend they be seen at age 3 and up)They can give him supplements, and topical fluoride right there at the office. We ALWAYS do 3 year olds...we just paint it on with a Q-tip..not so intimidating to them, but very helpful. You guys are such terrific parents!!! Sorry this is so long..hope it helps..let me know if you have any other questions! love you guys, Tammy

Tammy said...

By the way..Sara, Zion has had fluoride treatments..I applied it with a Q-tip when I clean his teeth! love you, Mom

Tammy said...

Sorry...I'm pretty long winded! A correction....the mottled enamel/discoloration of teeth is due to TOO MUCH fluoride! And it would take a child eating almost an entire tube of paste to see that. Its ok for kids to be brushing with fluoride in their paste under parental supervision. But he is prone to decay big time with no fluoride..(I should have proof read my entry before I posted....)

Jenny Corbin said...

I agree, try to get him on some type of floride, it can bet from you brushing twice a day with your toothpast, use just a little, but our dds said our water was not either, and Lucas has had to get 4 cavities fixed, and he is the best at brushing his teeth! What I use to do was start brushing for him, get all his teeth real good then let him finish...and put some of your toothpaste on and then his over it. anyhow, hope it helps.

Anonymous said...

Kacie, My dentist has made a LOT of money off my teeth! I will call him first thing Monday morning and see if I can get a script for Sterling in case you decide to use it. I will fill it and include it in the box we are sending Monday or Tuesday. Love to you all, linda

Sara said...

i feel like a DORK!!! i talked w/ tammy and she told me zion HAS had flouride treatments--i was just thinking about the trays they usually put in their mouths and new he hadn't done that.... anyway, let us know if we can help in any way! love you guys!!:)

Zack, Amy, & Blake said...

Hey Kacie! I spoke with my friend that is a hygienist just like Tammy - and she said all the EXACT same things Tammy said! :)